The 10 Basic Principles of The Artist's Way
The following spiritual principles are the bedrock on which creative Recovery and discovery can be built.
- Creativity is the natural order of life. Life is energy: pure creative energy.
- There is an underlining, in-dwelling creative force infusing all of life – including ourselves.
- When we open ourselves to our creativity, we open ourselves to the creator's creativity within us and our lives.
- We are, ourselves, creations. And we, in turn, I meant to continue creativity by being creative ourselves.
- Creativity is God's gift to us. Using our creativity is our gift back to God.
- The refusal to be creative is self-will and is counter to our true nature.
- When we open ourselves to exploring our creativity, we open ourselves to God: good orderly direction.
- As we open our creative channel to the creator, many gentle but powerful changes are to be expected.
- It is safe to open ourselves up to greater and greater creativity.
- Our creative dreams and yearnings come from a divine source. As we move towards our dreams, we move towards our divinity.
(Julia Cameron, The Artist's Way, p. 2-3)
Creativity is harnessing universality and making it flow through your eyes.
– Peter Koestenbaum
Today, let’s experience the heart of creativity as an experience of the mystical union.
Creativity is an experience—a spiritual experience. It does not matter what you think of it: creativity leading to spirituality or spirituality leading to creativity.
In order for this creative emergence to happen, we don't have to believe in God. We only need to observe and note the process as it unfolds. In effect, we will be midwifing and witnessing our own creative progression.
We must accept that this creative pulse within us is God's creative pulse itself.
– Joseph Chilton Pearce