Transform Stress into Growth and Courageous Action
Today, let's embrace discomfort in a way that befriends fear, dissipates harmful stress, and cultivates courageous action toward inspired goals.
In the dance of life, we twirl and sway,
embracing discomfort, we find our way.
Fear is a partner, hand in hand,
guiding us into beautiful new land.
Each wave we surf, uncertain but bold,
transforming our hearts, courage untold.
The fire of challenge, burning bright,
ignites our purpose, our inner light.
“Discomfort is very much part of my master plan.”– Jonathan Lethem
Science shows that not all stress is harmful; moderate levels of stress, known as eustress, can be healthy and even beneficial.
A study by Keller et al. (1) found that individuals who perceived stress as a challenge rather than a threat experienced more positive outcomes.
Another study by Crum et al. (2) showed that changing one's mindset about stress can lead to better health, productivity, and emotional well-being.
So, let's embrace discomfort to live bravely! 🌟 Step out of our comfort zone, face challenges head-on, and stressors as opportunities to grow. By doing so, we'll unlock more potential, foster resilience, and live in more alignment with our braver intentions. Let's redefine stress and transform our lives! 💪✨
- Keller, A., Litzelman, K., Wisk, L. E., Maddox, T., Cheng, E. R., Creswell, P. D., & Witt, W. P. (2012). Does the perception that stress affects health matter? The association with health and mortality. Health Psychology, 31(5), 677-684.
- Crum, A. J., Salovey, P., & Achor, S. (2013). Rethinking stress: The role of mindsets in determining the stress response. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 104(4), 716-733.
- “I embrace healthy stress, growing stronger with each challenge.”
- “Fearlessly stepping out of my comfort zone, I expand my potential.”
- “I conquer discomfort, transforming it into growth and progress.”
MICRO ACT OF BRAVERY
Today, let's condition ourselves to be with discomfort by inviting more healthy stress into your day.
No need to go crazy here. Here are some simple ideas:
- take a cold shower
- speaking up in a group setting
- take the stairs instead of the elevator
These small intentional actions that push us out of our comfort zone encourage personal growth and help us build confidence in our ability to take on hard things.
Time for a little secret weapon of ours – the magical deep breath!
You see, when things get a tad bit stressful, it's like we're juggling flamingos on a unicycle. So what do we do? We take a big, deep breath, of course! Inhale that lovely oxygen like you're about to blow up the biggest balloon at the party, aaaand exhale it all out, nice and slow. Poof! Just like that, our minds get a little clearer, our hearts a bit lighter, and we're ready to face those flamingos head-on!
In today's 10-min meditation, Andy invites us to let go of stress 😫, focus on our breath 🌬️, and give our minds space 🧠 to better embrace the body, thoughts, and feels. 🤗✨
Reflect on the type of stress that has made you stronger along your brave journey.
How could you invite more healthy stress into your life to replace unhealthy stress?