Release False Negative Beliefs
Week 1, Day 4 of The Artist's Way
Today, let's uncover false negative beliefs that have been inhibiting our creativity.
Core Negative Beliefs
Here is a list of commonly held negative beliefs:
I can't be a successful, prolific, creative artist because:
- Everyone will hate me.
- I will hurt my friends and family.
- I will go crazy.
- I will abandon my friends and family.
- I can't spell.
- I don't have enough good ideas.
- It will upset my mother and/or father.
- I will have to be alone.
- I will find out I am gay (if straight).
- I will be struck straight (If gay).
- I will do bad work and not know it and look like a fool.
- I will feel too angry.
- I will never have any real money.
- I will get self-destructive and drink, drugs, or sex myself to death.
- I will get cancer, AIDS—or a heart attack or the plague.
- My lover will leave me.
- I will die.
- I will feel bad because I don't deserve to be successful.
- I will have only one good piece of work in me.
- If it's too late. If I haven't become a fully functioning artist yet, I never will.
None of these core negatives need to be true.
They come to us from our parents, our religion, our culture, and our fearful friends. Each one of these beliefs reflects notions we have about what it means to be an artist.
Negative beliefs are exactly that: beliefs, not facts. The world was never flat, although everyone believed it was. You are not dumb, crazy, egomaniacal, grandiose, or silly just because you falsely believe yourself to be.
What you are is scared. Core negatives keep you scared.
(The Artist's Way, p. 30-31)
My creativity always leads me to truth and love.
Download Printable Affirmation Card
Take a moment to bravely acknowledge and list false core negative beliefs you have about yourself that have silenced your artist child.
“There is only one cause of unhappiness: the false beliefs you have in your head, beliefs so widespread, so commonly held, that it never occurs to you to question them.“
– Anthony de Mello
What is one false negative belief you are ready to let go of?
We'd love to hear in the community comments.